Schoodic Point Cottage
(Click for map)
Warm and cozy vacation cottage situated 1.2 miles to the park entrance. Enjoy being near the ocean, the feeling of being in a cottage out in the countryside and yet you are right in town. From here it's a short walk to the harbor, marina, stores, eateries
, golf course and shuttle bus stop. Enjoy hiking trails
, fishing, kayaking
, golf, swimming and picnicing along our rocky granite shoreline. Experience a little bit of life in the slow lane and treat yourself to some real downeast treasures. Have it all!
Built the winter of 2007-08. It was built with your vacation in mind, a place having some illusion of being rustic and with all the comforts and conveniences of home. Except for the bathroom the floors are eastern white pine, portions of some walls have been left unfinished and it has a vaulted ceiling. Pictures can't convey the ambiance, especially in the evenings with the light from the fireplace shimmering off the ceiling. So, if you want something special. You don't want to walk into a rental that looks like the house you just left. Then this may be the place for you!
Fully Furnished &
- Wireless internet.
ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW, Ion,
Circle, Justise, Decades, MPBN,
World, Create, PBS Kids
At times, subject to weather conditions
, VCR/DVD and a collection of recent and older DVD movies and videos, CD player, books, magazines. Bring your cell phone. Central heating. Washer and dryer.
- Picnic table, four adirondack chairs &
fire ring with grates.
- Futon with 10" (new - not pictured)
mattress, coffee table, armchair and end table, hall stand, tide clock, TV stand, and an electric fireplace/parlor stove.
- Queen sized bed with a wrought iron antique-like frame, end tables, lamps, dresser and chair. (Linens included)
Shower, hair dryer. (Towels and washcloths included.)
- Refrigerator, stove, oven, microwave, coffee maker , toaster, pots, pans silverware, dishes, glasses and cups (etc. etc.).
- Charcoal barbecue, double rocker, two chairs and patio table.
To sum it up
- The cottage is completely furnished (and decorated) with everything we can think of that you may need to get started even including complimentary items that you may forget like coffee, tea, toothpaste, shampoo, razor and more. As like our other rentals we try not to do things just half right.
- a little over one half mile to the ocean and center of town, less than a mile to the ferry and a mile to the park entrance.
Meet the owners
Welcome to Schoodic Point
Where it doesn't get any better.
Here you can have remote, secluded, quiet or crowds anytime you want, it's just simply your call.
Schoodic Peninsula is less commercialized than the other tourist spots but there's still a lot to do especially those guests who desire a more relaxed, less crowded atmosphere. There are shops, restaurants, kayak/bike rentals and other businesses to explore including one of the oldest golf courses in the country. You can purchase lobster fresh off the boat that like everything else here won't break your bank. Two weeks during the summer there is an arts festival nestled around a one day lobster festival and year round just about weekly there is a program, theater, concert, dance or some other event.
Acadia National Park is the most visited national park in the country and the majority of that onslaught is to Mount Desert Island. Winter Harbor is a smaller seaside community across the bay from Bar Harbor with the only section of ANP on the mainland. Fortunately we don't experience the sheer daily volume of people, traffic or cruise ships that MDI sees. (If we did I'd have to move and that would be a shame.)
The entrance road to the Schoodic District is a few hundred yards down Main Street where you'll find miles and miles of hiking and biking trails. At Frazers Point there is a large picnic area with picnic tables, many with fire rings that is open to the public 24/7. Frazers also has a long pier and float that jets out into the harbor for fishing. The views from the seaside loop around the park are georgeous as you pass the Mark Island Lighthouse at the entrance to the harbor. Schoodic Head the highest point on the peninsula offers panoramic views east, west, north and south. At the southern most tip of the park is Schoodic Point itself with ample parking. The expansive ledges that reach down into the sea with the waves breaking against them are an impressive sight.
Click on any picture to enlarge
And finally there is the Bar Harbor-Winter Harbor Ferry making daylight runs every hour back and forth during the tourist season. Combined both legs of the trip are a 14 mile leisurely 1 hour trip. (more)
$ / Week
Three night minimum
$ / Week
July & August - weeks start on Saturday
Five night minimum until two weeks prior
$ / Week
Four night minimum
$ / Week
Reservations accepted after Oct. 15
- During summer dates - weeks start on Sunday.
- Maine lodging tax
- Refundable security deposit $ for a 1 week stay
- Maximum (no exceptions) number of people = Four
- Check in after 4PM. - Check out by 10:30am.
- Spring & fall daily rates are on the credit card page
- NO SMOKING inside cottage
- Pets allowed: Limited to 2 dogs.
- Sec. dep. with pets increased
$ for 1 /
$ for 2
Senior and service discounts
- Why are your prices so reasonable: Since you are booking direct you won't pay the standard 9-17% additional booking fee that you are accustomed to paying elsewhere and we won't have to charge you more to cover the fees on our end either. This rental can also be found on AirBnb. So please book it wherever you are comfortable.
- What other fees are there: None. But there is a security deposit(s) that you get back after you leave providing everything is in order.
- When will I get my security deposit back: Assuming everything is in order after you leave, most people get their security deposit back within the first 3 days but I am human so if you haven't recieved it in a week email me.
- Is the calendar correct: 99% of the time.
- Maximum of 4 persons & 2 pets: No exceptions.
- You say it sleeps four but I only see one bedroom: Yes, the cottage is best suited for parties of two. But there is a full sized futon in the living room that can be used as another bed.
- Is the cottage on the water or can you see it: Only from the top of the driveway in the winter The water is 1/2 mile straight down the road. It's a nice walk or bike ride.
- How close is the park: The cottage is situated 1.2 miles from the park.
- Will we meet you: I mow the lawn, take the trash and live about 70 yards away and do try to say hi, introduce myself and answer any questions if see people and sense that would be welcomed. So Maybe.
- Is it available during the winter: No, I always close it up and winterize the cottage by mid November.
- When will you put the new calendar up: Usually November or December but we are always taking reservations so just ask and you may get in before a price increase.
Wes & Carney Williams